Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Fixed the washing machine

Happy day - fixed something, no blood, no sweating, no pain - not repeat trips to the store, no extra screws left over - and it works !!!

Even through I am a engineer by professional I am not really a techy person or naturally gifted in fixing things with my hands. I am much more like my maternal grandfather - he loved to attempt to fix stuff by really wasn't any good at it. Same here - I enjoy doing stuff with my hands but really not a natural. This is because being a dreamer I am not really aware of cause/effect relationships that come naturally to a more mechanically gifted person (like me wife). I think is due to being "not with it" to see the cause and effect (aka being disorientated)

So this morning when Tiffany said the washing machine isn't working - can you take a look at it, my heart sank. With no enough $$ to get a call out man, and just enough ability to know that I should see if I can fix it

Well anyway I found two truths that have helped (1) the internet (2) taking time.

So I searched the net (my strength) can came across a similar error - a suggestion of what it most likely was, and where to find it.

So I got the part out, phoned Tiffany who was already in town. Gave her enough part numbers that she picked up the right part on the way home.

Then I continued to take the washing machine apart to get it out and replace it (the reed switch on the sensor for lid open/close was bung). The fisher and pycal (or however you spell it) brand of washing machines is really nice to work on. Everything is clear and well layout out. Anyway this is were (2) comes it - taking time. I read in Scott Peck's book The Road Rest Traveled and interesting story about how mechanical ability is often just taken more time. So I have taken this to heart. Taking more time to look at the problem, more time to trace the wires, more time to organize the screws better, more time to fiddle with things. It has made a huge difference!

No comments: