Friday, January 26, 2007

The power of silence and questions



One of the key frustrations and annoyances of being a picture thinker is that my thinking goes to pot under pressure. Or more accurately I cannot articulate thoughts because the emotion overwhelms the ability to engage in good verbal discussion.

So as a result I avoid conflict or any situation were I will be under emotional pressure and expected to react to it.

However the last week has been very interesting. I have learned the power of silence, pauses and questions. Without saying to much the last week has had a lot of pressured meeting with various people in my employment. And have learnt some interesting things. However more on that later when it can be talked about more freely

Anyway at the doctors today - have a viral infection going down the nerves in my back. And like I always do I have left it so late to see a doctor that I have basically gone past the peak and are self healing. Anyway it was the first time I had visited this doctor, as I have not gone in over 2 years, and Tiffany who goes more regular especially with the kids had changed family doctors. Nice guy, genuinely cares, all the right reasons to be a doctor and serve - highly recommend him. Well anyway he had a go at me about St John's Wort - how it doesn't work, has side effects etc etc etc.

Well in the end I said "Is there anything that I can say that would change your mind?" Cause the conversion was going nowhere. I wasn't going to change, and he wasn't going to listen - so what was the point! Anyway a power question, because the answer is "No there is nothing you can say that would change my mind" however to say that would to be admit that he was being closed minded! So at this stage he talked about diversity and respect for others opinions. Even though he still thinks I am mad, wrong and stupid, at least he has affirmed my position and I can walk out without feeling put down.

And that is important - not to have my self esteem bashed because of someone who doesn't have all the facts, and is not prepared to listen!

Therefore I must be quite more and practice asking questions.....

No comments: